Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation seeks a full-time Communications Officer to elevate our mission and amplify diverse community voices and stories that illuminate our work supporting nonprofits, donors, and other important stakeholders.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Communications Officer will manage content development in print and digital mediums vital to the day-to- day function of the communications team. This is a hybrid position with structured remote and in-office hours.
Since 1987, Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation (BTCF) has strengthened our region through philanthropy and leadership. We channel generosity where it is needed, bringing together resources and passion to tackle pressing issues and create lasting change. BTCF initiatives help advance foundation priorities and build equity and inclusion in our communities. As a workplace, BTCF is in the midst of an in-depth internal capacity building process to embed equity and inclusion in our governance, strategy and operations.
BTCF serves over 60 communities across a four-county region encompassing Berkshire County, Mass., northwest Litchfield County, Conn., and Columbia County and northeast Dutchess County in New York. The foundation awards over $15 million dollars annually in grants and scholarships each year.
The Communications Officer will create multichannel content for specific audiences, and the responsibilities for this position fall under these general categories:
•Digital and print communications
•Press and media relations
•Creative development (photography, video, graphic design, web design)
•Departmental planning and organizational support
The Communications Officer (CO) will skillfully manage multiple projects with distinct timelines in close collaboration with BTCF colleagues. The CO will:
- Identify news, stories, and other communications opportunities
- Write frequent and compelling stories of grantees and donors
- Create digital and print newsletters
- Maintain and improve BTCF website
- Draft and produce content for frequent e-blasts
- Produce engaging social media content
- Produce branded graphics, documents, and presentations
- Draft and distribute press releases
- Coordinate photography and videography sessions
- Support and promote BTCF events (virtual and in-person)
- Track and analyze digital performance metrics
- Manage editorial calendar
- Edit and proofread content
We rely on Adobe Creative Suite and Office 365 creative and collaboration apps. Experience with these programs is desirable.
A qualified applicant for this role will demonstrate a compelling combination of the following attributes and skills:
● Experience on a marketing and communications team
● Experience in a nonprofit organization
● Background in journalism, public relations, design, or publishing
● Ability to communicate clearly with diverse audiences
● Excellent writing and editing skills
● Fluency with a wide variety of digital platforms
● Strategic thinking and problem-solving
● Responsible time management
● Creativity and design sensibility
● Good relationship-building
● Ability to give and receive criticism constructively
● Comfort with collaboration
A college degree is preferred (A.A. or B.A.), along with 3 to -5 years of work experience.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
• Ability to sit or stand at a workstation for long periods of time
• Ability to use a computer monitor and keyboard for long periods of time
• Ability to work on-site and remotely (if hybrid)
• Ability to travel across region for work-related meetings
Compensation and Benefits
Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Starting salary is $58-60,000, negotiable based on experience.
We offer competitive benefits, including:
•403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
•Generous paid vacation and sick time
•Health, dental, and life insurance
•Hybrid work model
•Opportunities for professional development
How to Apply Help us get to know you by providing a cover letter that shares why you want to work at BTCF and how your experience has prepared you for the role of Communications Officer. Your resume should include the highlights of your professional experience, education and skills relevant to this role. Lastly, please provide one sample of your work that incorporates written copy and graphics/artwork.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and work sample in a PDF to email@example.com with the subject line, Application for Communications Officer, followed by your name.
Review of applications begins on March 27 and will continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.