Junior Achievement’s mission is to inspire and prepare young people to succeed in global economy. Our corporate and community volunteers deliver relevant, hands-on experiences that teach students in kindergarten through high school the basics of financial literacy, work readiness, and entrepreneurship. JA programs empower students to make a connection between what they learn in school and how it can be applied in the real world to own their economic success. Junior Achievement of Southwest New England serves seven Connecticut counties (excluding only Fairfield County).
In response to the pandemic, JA virtualized all programming and special events for the 2020-21 school year and met students, educators and volunteers where they were – serving more than 14,000 students virtually with the help of close to 1,000 volunteers. This school year, JA of Southwest New England will serve over 20,000 students through virtual, hybrid, and in-person programs. JA of Southwest New England, with an office based in Hartford, has been recognized by JA USA for five consecutive years for financial stability, student growth, and overall management efficiency.
Junior Achievement of Southwest New England (JA) is looking for a Development Manager who is passionate about JA’s mission to prepare and empower youth to succeed and who is able to effectively communicate and collaborate with stakeholders to amplify JA’s impact in the community.
JA is laser focused on student impact and building strong relationships with all of our stakeholders. Reporting to the Senior Development Manager, the Development Manager will assist in the development of stewardship programs and cultivate partnerships with both current and prospective donor bases across JA of Southwest New England’s service area. Using moves management methodology, the Development Manager will work in coordination with senior leadership to identify, cultivate, and manage new and existing individual, foundation, and corporate donors to not only grow our funder base, but engage with current donors in support of JA’s work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with senior leadership to create and execute overall development strategy, including implementing processes that expand donor stewardship and moves management
- Manage and maintain long-term relationships with assigned portfolio of Individual and Corporate Donors
- Identify, contact, cultivate, and sustain relationships with new individual, corporate, and private foundation leaders, especially in the New Haven and Shoreline regions
- Co-manage the Hartford and New Haven Partners and Achievement Breakfast individual giving events
- Provide relevant reports as necessary for senior leadership
- Manage logistics of donor solicitations and appeals, as well as support Development Assistant in reviewing donor pledges and contribution acknowledgements
- Write and edit content for a wide variety of donor communications, including proposals, emails, mailings, and reports.
- Contribute to the development of a Major Gifts program
- Support Grants Coordinator and expanding grant portfolio through review of content, data collection, relevant research and stewardship of foundation leadership
- Actively participate in annual giving campaign, peer-to-peer fundraising events and other collaborative department projects
- Contribute to donor appeals, as well as support Development Assistant in reviewing donor pledges and contribution acknowledgements
Our Ideal Candidate
You are a resourceful, strategic, and creative thinker, a confident and comfortable relationship-builder, and a strong communicator. You’ll also have familiarity with development operations, processes and platforms, as well as core skillsets suited to donor stewardship, retention, and moves management. You’re a collaborative team player who is committed to excellence, takes initiative and demonstrates a growth mindset, thinks creatively to solve problems, and works with a sense of humor and humility. You are highly organized, attentive to detail, and process-oriented. You can prioritize and execute multiple time-sensitive priorities with precision and integrity. You are comfortable using spreadsheets, CRMs, online giving sites, with the ability to add more technical skills to your toolkit.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 3-5 years’ experience in non-profit development; preferably at university, hospital or other large institution
- Demonstrable experience and grasp of all core components of development including corporate partnerships/funding, individual contributions and stewardship, annual and online giving campaigns, grant writing and special events including a record of successfully soliciting and closing donor gifts.
- Experience building meaningful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, including individual donors as well as corporate and foundation partners
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute multiple time-sensitive priorities with precision and integrity
- Ability to work occasional nights and/or weekends for donor engagement and supporting events
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office and experience with CRM databases and other fundraising tools (i.e. Blackbaud, QGiv, and First Giving)
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation; willingness to travel within the organization’s territory
We actively seek people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work. We are dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels welcomed, valued and included. We believe we are stronger as an organization when we embrace the unique attributes, characteristics, abilities, and perspectives of all individuals.
Junior Achievement of Southwest New England offers a competitive benefits package to full-time employees including medical and dental insurance and 401k plan as well as generous Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays in a supportive hybrid work schedule of 2-3 days per week in the office.
Resumes will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com