Connecticut Students for a Dream (C4D) is the only undocumented youth-led statewide organization in CT that fights and builds power for the rights and dignity of immigrants and communities of color. We do this by organizing, empowering, and advocating with undocumented young people and those impacted by the immigration systems so that together we win lasting real change for our communities. Whether we’re organizing in the streets, clearing pathways to education and fighting for education equity, stopping deportations, running advocacy campaigns to win legislation, or creating alliances across social movements, C4D puts undocumented immigrant youth at the forefront. C4D is a fast-paced, dynamic organization that has become a leading voice in social change in Connecticut. We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members and community. Our grassroots-driven approach has a proven record of accomplishment and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
Position Overview: The Development Manager will work towards ensuring that C4D has the financial and other resources to fully realize its mission. The role will lead efforts to establish the organization’s development strategy and implementation, which includes grant writing, relationships with foundations, individual giving from donors, and fundraising events. This position works in close collaboration with C4D’s Co-Directors to meet the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Grants/Institutional Giving (60%)
- Lead the writing of grant applications and reports for foundation partners, this includes drafting and submitting an average of 5-10 grants and reports per quarter by working with Director(s) and other key staff as needed
- Research new grants and institutional partner opportunities
- Manage grants calendar and timelines to meet all deadlines
- Collaborate with Administrative Coordinator to maintain updated records of grant agreements and keep track of grant management tracking systems
- Maintain and develop relationships with institutional partners by attending meetings to report back on C4D’s work, as well as supporting Co-Directors with preparation for new pitches
- Track grant deliverables to ensure accurate programmatic data reporting and ensure compliance with funding requirements
- Individual Giving (25%)
- Implement individual donor strategies to acquire new donors and grow the existing donor base, including fundraising drives and giving days.
- Maintain and develop relationships with individual donors including major donors.
- Draft donor communications including email/letter appeals, thank you cards, social media posts, etc
- Manage and keep the CRM platform up to date
- Collaborate with board to identify and cultivate donors
- Events: (10%)
- Lead planning and execution of at least 1 major fundraising event for the year (in person or online), including outreach and sponsorships, as well as logistics with Admin Coordinator.
- Strategic Development (5%)
- Create and implement the annual development departmental plan, and deliverables/measures of success
- Regularly evaluate progress towards goals, and report on results to Co-Directors and staff
Ideal Candidate Skills, Experience, and Attributes
Candidates who bring previous experience with (or have a willingness to learn) grant writing and fundraising are especially encouraged to apply. Specific skills and experience that are required for this position include:
- Experience with coordinating development or fundraising strategies for organizations
- Experience with grant writing for non-profit organizations or strong experience in other professional writing.
- Understanding of donor fundraising and cultivation
- Good planning and time management skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks and work to deadlines.
- Experience with a CRM or a interest to learn technology systems
- Fluency in Google Docs is required.
- Strong commitment to social justice and dismantling systems of oppression and to the immigrant community/immigrants’ rights.
- Demonstration of multicultural competence including the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish/Portuguese/Creole) is a plus
LOCATION: CT Students for a Dream currently works on a hybrid (in person and virtual) schedule for most staff. Although the location for this position is flexible, a Connecticut location is strongly preferred. C4D has an office in Bridgeport, CT available for staff use. Staff are able to work remotely from home if desired with some in person work and meetings required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: The position is a full-time exempt salaried position with benefits. The salary range is $55,000-$59,500 depending on qualifications and previous experience, in accordance with CT Students for a Dream’s payscale. C4D/UWD offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation, health insurance, retirement plans, and life insurance:
- Time-off benefits:
- Employees who have completed less than 3 years of service: 10 Vacation days per year
- Employees who have completed at least 3 years of service: 15 Vacation days per year
- Annual paid summer organizational closure for 1 week during July
- Annual paid Winter / Holiday closure for last 2 weeks of December
- 12 Paid holidays throughout the year
- Medical/Dental/Vision/ life coverage + dependents
- 3% 403(B) employer discretionary contribution
- 12 weeks of paid family leave
- $100 monthly Reimbursement for cell service/data and utilities
- $500 Reimbursement for office supplies working from home annually
DEADLINE: Applications reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis, with a final deadline of March 31. Intended start date between April - June.
TO APPLY: Please submit via email: a cover letter, resume, 2-3 professional references, and a 2-3 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: C4D - Development Manager Position.
UWD/C4D is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD/C4D does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.
Interested in working with C4D but don’t quite fit the box we’ve described?
We are committed to the development of undocumented youth, womxn of color, black immigrants, and individuals from diverse backgrounds. Contact us and we can work with you on your development.