WINDHAM COUNTY, CT -- Wheels to Learning offers transportation funding to all K-12 public schools in Windham County, Connecticut for field trips to designated educational and cultural non-profit institutions. In its first year of funding during the 2018-2019 school year, Wheels to Learning benefited approximately 4,300 students from 25 schools with over $20,000 of transportation grants for 57 field trips to seven venues.
The program was launched in the fall of 2018 by two Connecticut foundations. The funders, The Scripps Family Fund for Education and the Arts and the Newell D. Hale Foundation, believe that all children should have access to quality educational opportunities and learning experiences. Responding to the prohibitive cost of busing as an impediment to out-ofclassroom learning, Wheels to Learning was launched as a pilot program with the hope of increasing access to these enriching educational experiences.
Wheels to Learning has expanded to include three new venues for the 2019-2020 school year. Transportation grants are available for field trip travel to the following destinations:
- Audubon Center at Pomfret, Pomfret, CT
- Connecticut Science Center, Hartford, CT
- Hartford Stage, Hartford, CT
- Mystic Aquarium, Mystic CT
- Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, CT
- New England Air Museum, East Granby, CT
- Old Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge, MA
- Performing Arts of Northeast Connecticut, Woodstock, CT
- The Three C’s (Community Cultural Committee), Woodstock, CT
- Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, Hartford, CT
Details about the program and password access has been sent to the principals of all public schools in Windham County.