HARTFORD, CT -- The Hartford Foundation for Public Giving seeks a Chief Investment Officer to be responsible for the comprehensive oversight of the Foundation’s endowment and planned giving investment program.
About the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving
Since 1925, generous individuals and families have trusted the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving to help them make a lasting, positive impact in their community in their own and future generations. Under its strategic commitment, the Foundation is poised to move to an even greater level of impact and growth that will enhance the organization’s reputation and external profile as a trusted steward, collaborator and innovator. Aided by a substantial endowment, valued at $1.06 billion at the end of 2019 that has grown steadily over time, the Foundation supported the Greater Hartford region with $38.3 million dollars of grant funding in 2019 for a total of more than $796 million since 1925. The Foundation’s endowment consists of funds given in trust and managed by the trustee bank ($605 million), currently Bank of America, and funds donated directly to HFPG, Inc. ($457 million) which is managed by the Foundation’s CIO, with support from the Foundation’s investment consulting firm, currently Colonial Consulting LLC, in partnership with the Investment Committee of the Board of Directors.
Summary of Role
Reporting directly to the President, the Chief Investment Officer is responsible for the comprehensive oversight of the Foundation’s endowment and planned giving investment program. Working closely with the Foundation’s Investment Committee and investment consulting firm, the incumbent monitors the overall performance of each of the Foundation’s externally managed funds and individual managers to achieve long-term investment results that preserve the future spending power of the endowment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Direct investment policy, strategy and governance activities for HFPG Inc. Analyze investment trends, asset allocation, portfolio performance assessment and expected return calculation for the Foundation. Prepare accurate and timely analyses and reports;
- Conduct appropriate due diligence and oversight of existing and potential external managers;
- Coordinate Investment Committee and Board relations for all investment related issues ensuring ongoing and collaborative communication with constituents and stakeholders, including committee and Board members, custodians, consultants, donors, Foundation staff and Trustee;
- Monitor and ensure UPMIFA compliance and compliance with Resolution and Declaration of Trust;
- Keep well-informed of industry issues and trends;
- Completes and administers meeting material preparation, annual investment manager-related document review; investment management agreement negotiation; and response to auditor requests;
- Work closely with Finance to ensure adequate cashflows available for operating and grant activities;
- Collaborate with Development and Communications staff on investment-related communication to donors to ensure current and prospective donor base remains confident in the quality of the Foundation’s stewardship.
- Other related duties as required
Competencies and Attributes
- Alignment and connection with the Foundation’s mission and strategic commitment.
- Fiduciary mindset with demonstrated high quality judgement and decision making.
- Desire to apply investment expertise to benefit the Greater Hartford region.
- Demonstrated excellent communications skills for writing, speaking, listening for understanding, and presenting and adapting content for a range of audiences, persuading and influencing.
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills with an openness to new ideas and perspectives on a wide range of topics.
- Strong quantitative abilities.
- Commitment to the values of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within a diverse environment and interact openly with individuals of different backgrounds.
- Ability to meet physical demands typical of periodic travel and a sedentary office environment with reasonable accommodations as needed.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in business administration or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation.
Ten or more years of senior-level related experience as a senior portfolio manager requiring a sophisticated understanding of multiple asset classes and global investments
Hartford, CT; travel required up to 15% of time
Please email your resume and a cover letter describing your match to our requirements to: HumanResources@hfpg.org
For more information about the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, please visit our website: www.hfpg.org.
HARTFORD FOUNDATION FOR PUBLIC GIVING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER RELYING ON A DIVERSE GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE TALENTS TO ACHIEVE OUR MISSION
Any and all offers to applicants are contingent on the candidate’s completion of a comprehensive background, credit and reference check to the satisfaction of the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving.