THE UNITED WAY OF CENTRAL AND NORTHEASTERN CT
HARTFORD,CT - The United Way of Central and Northeastern CT is seeking a Director, Workforce Solutions Collaborative to manage the Workforce Solutions Collaborative of Metro Hartford.
About Workforce Solutions:
Workforce Solutions Collaborative of Metro Hartford (Workforce Solutions) is a funders’ collaborative committed to developing an educated, economically self-sufficient workforce that meets employer needs. Using sector-based employer driven strategies, participants improve work-readiness and secure industry recognized credentials that are portable and stackable.
Since 2008, Workforce Solutions has invested in industries that have the potential for growth and career advancement for lower-wage workers. Through employer-led industry partnerships, employers are co-convened by industry intermediaries and Capital Workforce Partners, our regional workforce development board, to assist lower-wage workers with identifying their path toward quality employment and assist employers with accessing a qualified workforce.
About United Way
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut serves as the fiscal agent and employer of record for Workforce Solutions. We are one of more than 1,200 autonomous United Ways in our nation and nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 45 countries and territories. We have the unique ability, vision and resources to bring together diverse stakeholders around a community vision of creating positive change to achieve long-lasting results for children and families.
We are searching for a Director, Workforce Solutions Collaborative to be part of our team located in Hartford Connecticut. The Director is responsible for managing Workforce Solutions Collaborative of Metro Hartford with a focus on employer-driven partnerships in select industry sectors; high-quality service delivery with demonstrated outcomes; and system coordination/policy change. Success is defined by meeting employer needs for a competitive workforce; increasing career advancement opportunities and support services for low wage/low skilled entry-level job seekers and incumbent workers; increasing funder/member participation; securing direct and leveraged public/private funding; and ensuring effective use of public/private resources and systems.
- Develop, coordinate and oversee the implementation of Workforce Solution’s Collaborative operational plan which advances strategic goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership and support to the Investors’ Committee and the Steering Committee in their respective roles of governance and an advisory/coordinating body.
- Develop and implement a resource development strategy to ensure sustainable public/private funding and to increase membership/participation in the Investors Committee; includes relationship management, effective proposal writing and timely reports, presentations and overall grant management.
- Coach/supervise collaborative staff and/or interns and secure/manage consultants and/or vendors as required.
- Manage and administer all memorandums of understanding to ensure effective partnership, quality service, and meeting of Collaborative outcomes.
- Ensure participant, employer and system outcomes; develop and implement continuous improvement strategies; and ensure alignment with regional workforce development plans; work with, and provide support to, local and national evaluators as required.
- Develop and manage multiple funding stream budget and financial reporting, including developing annual budget and financial reports for Investors Committee and preparing financial reports for fund sources.
- Manage internal operating policies and systems, and recommend policies and procedure changes to the Investors Committee for approval as needed.
- Develop and implement a marketing/communications strategy to convey the outcomes of the Collaborative and its benefits to participants, employers, funders, and other key stakeholders.
- Create a forum for funders and other partners that encourage and promote alignment and coordination of regional workforce development efforts.
- Represent the Collaborative at local, state and national meetings as appropriate.
- Coordinate and/or assist with special projects.
- Performs related duties as required.
The Workforce Solutions Director must be passionate about the mission of the collaborative. Additionally, the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Master’s degree in business, social work, public policy, or related field; and/or at least five years of relevant work experience, including at least three years managing collaborative teams in a fast-paced nonprofit, social enterprise, or start-up environment.
- Ability to perform job with integrity and values consistent with United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut and the Workforce Solutions Investors Committee members.
- Ability to relate well with people from diverse groups.
- The executive presence to inspire confidence and passion in internal and external audiences.
- Advanced strategy and planning skills, including an ability to think strategically on both organizational and systemic levels over multi-year horizons.
- Experience with project management and grant management.
- Strong data acumen and ability to use data to drive decision making.
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills before multiple types of audiences.
- Existing relationships with, or ability to quickly build relationships with, a cross-sectorial range of stakeholders in the local or regional area, including senior executives.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, able to build authentic relationships with diverse stakeholders - from public and private sector executives, employers, and philanthropists to line workers and support staff at partnering agencies.
- Strong writing ability.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, and willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities as needed for the work.
- Familiarity with the local area and workforce development systems, and/or direct experience working with employers to improve hiring and training practices.
- Business acumen: knowledgeable about programs, grants, contracts and building and maintaining partnership relationships.
- Action Orientation/Leadership: drives for goal completion and makes adjustments as new demands emerge; identifies resource needs, and problem-solving orientation.
- Relationship Building and Communication: demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, engenders trust with leaders and community partners, promotes the common good, and exercises active listening.
- Judgement and Decision-making: makes sound decisions under pressure, avoids assumptions, weighs risks, asks good questions, demonstrates critical thinking, delegates effectively, follows up.
- Fiscal and Operational Effectiveness: achieves objectives within allocated resources, develops ways to streamline workflows to produce desired outcomes
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter describing 1) their qualifications and experiences 2) salary requirements, and 3) how they learned about the position to:
United Way of Central and Northeastern CT
30 Laurel Street
Hartford, CT 06106
Email: email@example.com No phone calls please.
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut is an equal opportunity employer M / F / D / V.
This position description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate.