For nearly 100 years, generous individuals and families have trusted the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving to help them make a lasting, positive impact in their community and in their own and future generations. Under its strategic commitment, the Hartford Foundation is poised to move to a greater level of impact and growth that will enhance our ability to support nonprofits and other partners to identify and serve community needs. We also seek to enhance our role as a trusted steward, collaborator and innovator.
Summary of Role
If you are committed to our mission – “putting philanthropy into action to create lasting solutions that result in vibrant communities within the Greater Hartford Region” – and, have a passion for using your research and evaluation talents in the service of social change, please consider this opportunity to join the Foundation as a Senior Learning and Evaluation Officer.
The Senior Learning and Evaluation Officer works collaboratively with the Director of Strategic Learning and Evaluation and the Vice President of Community Impact to develop and manage an organization-wide monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) function that drives Foundation strategic planning, reflective thinking, practice improvement, and data-driven decision-making – particularly around grantmaking. They build Foundation staff capacity for evaluative thinking and learning to improve results and champion transparent, culturally responsive, and equitable evaluation with staff and community partners externally.
- Work collaboratively with Foundation colleagues to build and manage a centralized, coordinated MEL function to inform decision-making and continuous improvement and understand the Foundation’s contribution to the community.
- Develop and facilitate appropriate timelines and learning opportunities for reflection and refinement of strategy based on data and MEL findings.
- Develop and produce progress reports and other learning tools to inform staff, Board, and community stakeholders about strategy progress and learning.
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities of the Foundation’s outcome-focused grantmaking/learning teams.
- Play a central role in developing databases, processes and platforms to manage organizational data and learning.
- Produce and/or oversee the production of literature reviews, field/landscape scans, and needs assessments to inform ongoing refinement of strategy\
- Leads L&E’s RFP processes and other procurement processes in collaboration with the Director of Strategic Learning and Evaluation, Foundation staff, grantees, and other partners.
- Lead the implementation and improvement of L&E’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Culturally Responsive and Equitable Evaluation (CREE) practices
- Play a critical role in developing the local and regional data, research, and evaluation ecosystem.
- Represents the Learning and Evaluation team on Foundation special projects and initiatives.
Competencies and attributes:
- Deep commitment to the values of equity, diversity and inclusion and the ability to embed those values in all aspects of work.
- Demonstrated experience with applying culturally responsive and equitable evaluation (CREE) frameworks, principals, approaches, and tools.
- Demonstrated understanding of quantitative design, methods, analysis and visualization including basic statistical techniques and software (e.g. Excel, R, STATA, SPSS, Tableau).
- Demonstrated understanding of qualitative design, methods, and analysis including relevant techniques and software (e.g. NVivo, ATLAS.ti, Dedoose).
- Proven ability to select evaluation designs appropriate to a wide variety of projects, services, and initiatives to ensure effectiveness and efficiency.
- Demonstrated excellent communications skills for writing, speaking, listening for understanding, and presenting and adapting content for a range of audiences, persuading and influencing.
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills with an openness to new ideas and perspectives on a wide range of topics.
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex and technical research and evaluation concepts and approaches to non-researcher audiences.
- Proven ability to translate abstract ideas into actionable findings.
- Proven ability to make significant contributions to organizational learning and depth of experience in knowledge management.
- Ability to meet physical demands typical of a sedentary office environment with reasonable accommodations as needed.
Education and Experience:
Degree requirement can be substituted with equivalent practical experience
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in social sciences, public administration, public policy or other relevant area with significant training and practical experience in data analysis and evaluation design and methodology
- Five or more year of experience in nonprofit or public sector, research and evaluation design and implementation, and/or strategic planning
- Knowledge of Greater Hartford, especially Hartford, and the disparities in opportunity faced by its residents or of residents in a similar metropolitan area.
- Strong data visualization skills and experience preparing and incorporating visualizations in reports and presentations.
- Demonstrated experience with relational databases and/or grants management platforms.
Hartford, CT; Temporarily remote due to COVID; Normal work assignment includes in-office work, remote work and site visits to community partners throughout the Greater Hartford Region.
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter describing your match to our requirements to:
For best consideration, application materials must be received by Friday, January 22, 2021, 5:00 pm EST.
For more information about the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, please visit our website: www.hfpg.org
HARTFORD FOUNDATION FOR PUBLIC GIVING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER RELYING ON A DIVERSE GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE TALENTS TO ACHIEVE OUR MISSION
Any and all offers to external applicants are contingent on the candidate’s completion of a pre-employment background and reference check to the satisfaction of the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving