LEARNING AND EVALUATION OFFICER
About the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving
For nearly 100 years, generous individuals and families have trusted the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving to help them make a lasting, positive impact in their community and in their own and future generations. Under its strategic commitment, the Hartford Foundation is poised to move to a greater level of impact and growth that will enhance our ability to support nonprofits and other partners to identify and serve community needs. We also seek to enhance our role as a trusted steward, collaborator and innovator.
Summary of Role
If you are committed to our mission – “putting philanthropy into action to create lasting solutions that result in vibrant communities within the Greater Hartford Region” – and, have a passion for using your research and evaluation talents in the service of social change, please consider this opportunity to join the Foundation as a Learning and Evaluation Officer.
The Learning and Evaluation Officer works collaboratively with the Director of Strategic Learning and Evaluation, departmental colleagues, and the Community Impact outcomes teams to manage an organization-wide monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) function that drives Foundation strategic planning, reflective thinking, practice improvement, and data-driven decision-making – particularly around grantmaking.
- Work collaboratively with Foundation colleagues to manage a centralized, coordinated MEL function to inform decision-making and continuous improvement and understand the Foundation’s contribution to the community.
- Use data and other grantee reporting to develop progress reports, summaries, charts, and other learning tools to inform staff, Board, and community stakeholders about strategy progress and learning.
- Support monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities of the Foundation’s outcome- focused grantmaking teams including supporting grantees and Foundation staff in the co-development of reporting requirements.
- Play a central role in developing databases, processes and platforms to manage organizational data and learning.
- Contribute to the production of literature reviews, field/landscape scans, and needs assessments to inform ongoing refinement of strategy.
- Support L&E’s RFP processes and other procurement processes in collaboration with the Director of Strategic Learning and Evaluation, Foundation staff, grantees, and other partners.
- Contribute to the implementation and improvement of L&E’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Culturally Responsive and Equitable Evaluation (CREE) practices.
Competencies and attributes:
Education and Experience:
Degree requirement can be substituted with equivalent practical experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in social sciences, public administration, public policy or other relevant area with significant training and practical experience in data analysis, measurement, evaluation and/or applied research
- Three or more years of related experience in nonprofit or public sector, research and evaluation, and/or strategic planning
- Advanced degree
- Knowledge of Greater Hartford, especially Hartford, and the inequities experienced by its residents or of residents in a similar metropolitan area.
- Strong data visualization skills and experience preparing and incorporating visualizations in reports and presentations.
- Demonstrated experience with managing relational databases and/or grants management platforms (e.g. Foundant, Blackbaud).
- Demonstrated experience with applying culturally responsive and equitable evaluation (CREE) frameworks, principals, approaches, and tools.
- Expertise in advanced quantitative and qualitative approaches, modeling and analyses
Location and office information:
Hartford, CT; Hybrid schedule that includes in-office work, remote work and site visits to community partners throughout the Greater Hartford Region.
Reasonable accommodations provided as necessary to facilitate the physical demands typical of a sedentary office environment.
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter describing your match to our requirements to:
For best consideration, application materials must be received by Friday, February 18, 2022, 5:00 pm EST.
For more information about the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, please visit our website: www.hfpg.org
HARTFORD FOUNDATION FOR PUBLIC GIVING IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER RELYING ON A DIVERSE GROUP OF INDIVIDUALS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE TALENTS TO ACHIEVE OUR MISSION
Any and all offers to external applicants are contingent on the candidate’s completion of a pre-employment background and reference check to the satisfaction of the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving.