Bilingual Business Advisor
The Women’s Business Development Council (WBDC) is seeking a part-time Business Advisor to deliver bilingual (English/Spanish) entrepreneurial services, virtually and across Connecticut. Services will be geared towards child care providers, positively impacting the short and long-term viability of the child care industry in Connecticut. This person will be a key contributor in enhancing and maintaining WBDC’s strategic competitiveness as the preferred provider of entrepreneurial training for women and child care providers in Connecticut.
We are seeking candidates with strong personal financial acumen, business acumen including financial expertise, fluency in English and Spanish, and a minimum of 3 years of experience working with entrepreneurs and small business owners, including those with multicultural backgrounds. The ideal candidate will also have experience working in the child care industry, especially with family homes.
This position demands a passionate self-starter with strong communication and analytical skills, who can deeply connect with clients, guiding and inspiring them to adopt healthy business habits. The role provides a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team at a rapidly growing organization that sits at the forefront of business development for women in Connecticut, while helping to make one’s mark in the child care sector.
This part-time position starts at 24 hours per week, with potential for growth. Currently, WBDC is operating on a hybrid work model and delivering all client services virtually. As normal operations resume, the candidate will be required to work in WBDC’s Stamford or New Haven office at least once per week. Travel to WBDC offices and training sites including Bridgeport, Hartford, and New London will be required soon. WBDC requires all employees to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. Qualified individuals seeking an exemption from this vaccination requirement may apply for a medical or religious exemption. Hourly compensation ranges from $40-$55 per hour and will be commensurate with experience
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Business Advisor is primarily responsible for delivering relevant, bilingual and bicultural entrepreneurial programs and services to WBDC clients, particularly child care providers, to help them launch, maintain and grow sustainable businesses.
- Advise and assist clients on all aspects of launching, maintaining, and growing a business, with a focus on sole proprietors and family homes
- Deliver WBDC entrepreneurial programming through live and on-demand training, including in an area of personal business expertise (e.g., accounting, finance, lending, human resources, marketing, operations, sales, strategy)
- Deliver WBDC’s long-term business plan development program, and provide clients with feedback on their business plans
- Support clients in becoming grant- and loan-ready by reviewing business plans, and assisting with financial statements and projections
- Assist in the evaluation of WBDC Child Care Opportunity Fund grant applications
- Work with team to enhance existing offerings and develop new programs to address changing client needs and economic conditions for child care businesses
- Develop/maintain working knowledge of CT’s child care industry and relevant resources
- Assist Child Care Team in cultivating relationships with community and partner organizations
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in small business, micro-enterprise, banking, and/or economic development; entrepreneurial experience a plus
- Fluency in English and Spanish, both written and oral, required
- Excellent communication skills, including an adeptness at presenting to small groups
- Proven skills in delivering training and coaching to adults
- Experience working with women-owned small child care businesses or sole proprietors a plus
- Financial management experience, including ability to create and analyze financial documents
- Experience designing curriculum for adults a plus
- Undergraduate degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in lieu of a degree
- Sales and customer-service oriented with proven skills in client outreach, and sensitive to the needs of a diverse, multicultural client base
- Availability to work occasional evenings and/or weekends as needed, with own transportation
For over 20 years, the Women’s Business Development Council (WBDC) has been providing entrepreneurial training, financial education, and access to capital services to women entrepreneurs, helping them to succeed in business. Services include training, technical assistance, microgrants and networking opportunities. Headquartered in Stamford with regional offices in New Haven and New London Counties, WBDC has assisted in the creation of over 1,800 businesses, supported the sustainability and expansion of 3,800 established businesses, and created more than 4,900 jobs.
HOW WE OPERATE
We are a small team of over 25 talented individuals who collectively deliver outstanding results through a high level of passion and commitment.
Please apply if you:
- Possess an Entrepreneurial Mindset - creative, motivated, enthusiastic, and energetic
- Seek to inspire and empower those around you, whether they are clients or colleagues
- Prosper in a culture of teamwork and growth, and value collaboration
- Can think outside the box, pivot, and adapt to client’s changing needs
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates that are intimately familiar with this job posting and excited by this opportunity should email their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list WBDC Bilingual Business Advisor in the e-mail subject line. No phone inquiries.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
WBDC, INC. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
WBDC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome qualified applicants to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.