Children’s Aid and Family Services
President & CEO
ABOUT CAFS: Children's Aid and Family Services (CAFS) is one of Northern New Jersey's leading not-for-profit providers of human services. Founded in 1899 with a focus on child protection, CAFS’s programs and services have evolved and expanded to meet ever-changing social needs. Today, CAFS provides a wide array of services to intellectually and developmentally disabled individuals and their families ranging from group residences to state-of-the-art day-habilitation to counseling and intensive in-home behavioral supports. The agency continues its proud history of providing child services, including adoption and treatment homes as well as community-based counseling and prevention programs. CAFS is a leader in advancing substance misuse prevention strategies as well as opioid recovery services.
Whether providing a safe and comfortable home for a developmentally disabled adult, helping a teenager to resist the pressure to take drugs, providing a mentor for an aging-out teenager, teaching life skills to those with intellectual and developmental disabilities, working with a child seeking an adoptive family or supplying formula and diapers to families that are struggling financially CAFS is helping to build futures and families in the communities it serves. For more information, please visit cafsnj.org.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The President & CEO reports to and works closely with the CAFS Board of Trustees and oversees a staff of approximately 350. They will provide executive leadership to the Trustees and staff consistent with the mission and objectives of the agency. The President & CEO will develop policy and strategic direction with the Board and ensure the implementation of those policies. They will also provide oversight for the management and administration of CAFS and is the chief representative of the agency to the various constituencies it serves.
The President & CEO will serve as chief fundraiser for the agency, with particular emphasis on individual major gifts. A major objective going forward is to increase contributed revenue in order to maintain standards of excellence, expand programs, and ensure the agency’s continued financial stability and growth.
FUNDING: CAFS has grown substantially over the past several years; the organization has a current annual operating budget of approximately $25 million and is on track to grow to nearly $30 million by the end of 2022. Government/ Medicaid funding is a primary source of revenue, making up approximately 87% of total annual revenue. Philanthropy currently makes up 9% of annual revenue, and fee for service makes up 4% of annual revenue.
IDEAL CANDIDATE Qualifications:
- Extensive track record of effective senior leadership in human services, health care, education, or equivalent government experience.
- Experience nurturing and maintaining a strong philanthropic culture.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a volunteer board of trustees.
- A strategic thinker capable of forecasting short- and long-term objectives.
- A connector and networker.
- Significant and successful experience securing private philanthropic support.
- Strong business and financial management skills.
- Current with trends facing human service providers in New Jersey, in the region, and nationally.
- Commitment to best practices, continuous quality improvement, and outcomes measurement.
- Politically savvy.
- Experience with marketing/branding/positioning.
- Polished communication skills.
- Well-honed relationship-building skills.
- Strong negotiating ability; a problem solver.
- Warm, approachable demeanor.
- Commitment to treating staff, clients, and families with compassion, dignity and respect.
- A team builder and motivator.
- A track record of recruiting and fostering a diverse team with a focus on equity and inclusion.
- Ability and willingness to attend community events (including some evenings and weekends) and to serve as a visible member of and spokesperson for the community served by CAFS.
- An advanced degree in social work, business, not-for-profit management or related field, or equivalent leadership experience in a relevant not-for-profit setting.