Connecticut Council for Philanthropy
Giving in Connecticut 2016 looks at charitable giving in Connecticut for calendar year 2014 and includes individual giving through reported contributions, bequests made through estate giving, and foundation giving. Giving in Connecticut 2016 uses data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the IRS Statistics of income Division, the Foundation Center, and self-reported data gathered by CCP.
- Giving in Connecticut from all sources at $4.51 billion was down 3.2% from 2013, due primarily to a drop in bequests.
- Giving by individuals at $3.40 billion was up 2.8%.
- Giving by all foundations at $1.02 billion was up 2.1%.
- Giving via bequests was down 74% after being up the previous year by 76%.
- Giving by individuals and bequests combined at $3.48 billion amounted to 77% of all giving.
- Giving by foundations: most grants went to Education and Health.
- Giving by foundations is greatest in Fairfield county where 56% of CT foundations are based. They gave $747 million to charities, representing 73% of total foundation grantmaking.