CCP has curated useful resources on the state fiscal crisis for member funders and their grantees. If you have additional resources to highlight, please share them with us >>
A LEGACY OF DEBT
- The CT Mirror ran a detailed five-part series, A Legacy of Debt, to explain the crisis. Keith M. Phaneuf has been doing excellent reporting on the issue, @CTMirrorKeith in case you want to follow him on Twitter.
- Fairfield County Community Foundation’s most recent 25on25 webinar series, Connecticut’s Economic Uncertainty & the Future Philanthropic Landscape, featured Keith Phaneuf.
THE ALLIANCE - http://ctnonprofitalliance.org >>
- 2017 Legislative Session Recap >>
- Governor's Executive Order Resource Allocation Plan - The Alliance's Analysis (6/27/17) >>
- Comparison of Budget Proposals: from Governor Malloy, Senate Republicans, House Republicans, Senate Democrats and House Democrats for the line items that are of most interest to nonprofits. Following the document can be confusing as some of the proposals consolidate or move line items. If you have any questions, contact Jeff Shaw, Director of Public Policy, The Alliance.
- Nonprofit Survey Results (6/14/17): Impacts of reduced or delayed payments from the state.
CONNECTICUT VOICES FOR CHILDREN - http://ctvoices.org
- The State of Working Connecticut 2016 traces major trends in Connecticut’s economy over the last 15 years, demonstrating widening racial disparities and a shift towards low-wage work. This has implications for the state budget since, in times of increased inequality, increased resources are needed more than ever—but a shrinking share of high-wage jobs makes raising that revenue more difficult.
- American Community Survey 2015 highlights Connecticut’s stubbornly high poverty and child poverty rates along with some of our strengths, including high household incomes and low uninsured rates.
- A Better Approach to the State Budget details policymakers’ cuts-heavy proposals to address the fiscal crisis, underscoring the consequences these cuts will have for children and families.
- Educational webcasts available YouTube channel >>
Anchored in Place: How Funders Are Helping Anchor Institutions Strengthen Local Economies, a new report issued by the Funders’ Network as part of their Anchors Institution Funders’ Group, examines the potential these deeply rooted local enterprises hold to create lasting and sustainable change—and illustrates how funders are working with anchor institutions to create healthier, more equitable, and economically vibrant places to live and work.
Connecticut Business & Industry Associatio (CBIA) report, Fixing Connecticut's Fiscal Problems: Spending Reforms, Long-term Solutions, Best Practices, describes Connecticut's spending problem, explains we got there, and provides solutions and best practices for solving this big problem.
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities recent report, How States Should Respond to Recent Federal Tax Changes? provides rich details on the options available to state lawmakers to protect state revenue.
- Workshop Recording from September 7: Hartford Foundation for Public Giving's Nonprofit Support Program - Operating During a State Fiscal Crisis w/ Anne Yurasek >>
These community foundations provide trainings and/or capacity building support to help nonprofits advance their mission:
- Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation's Center for Nonprofit Excellence >>
- The Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut's Initiative for Nonprofit Excellence >>
- Connecticut Community Foundation >>
- Fairfield County's Community Foundation's Center for Nonprofit Excellence >>
- Hartford Foundation for Public Giving's Nonprofit Support Program >>
- Main Street Community Foundation >>
- Northwest Connecticut Community Foundation >>
NEWS ON STATE & LOCAL BUDGET CRISISES
Find news on the effects of budget cuts on nonprofits, nonprofits reeductions and closures, funders responses and more.
- Stamford Patch (11/20/17) - New State Budget Cuts: Complete Town-By-Town List >>
- New Haven Register (11/13/17) - Thousands of Seniors, Disabled and Low-income Residents Losing Care Coverage >>
- CT News Junkie (11/3/17) - State Sheds Light On Stranded Funding and Municipal Aid Cuts >>
- Hartford Courant (10/26/17) - House Approves Bipartisan Budget With Veto-Proof Majority >>
- Hartford Business Journal (10/26/17) - CBIA: Budget a Good First Step to True Fiscal Reforms >>
- Connecticut Mirror (10/26/17) - After 117-day Marathon, Senate Passes Bipartisan Budget >>
- CT News Junkie (10/26/17) - Senate Praises Bipartisan Budget & Sends It To House >>
- Hartford Business Journal (10/19/17) Bankruptcy a Plausible Option, as Hartford’s Fiscal Crisis Peaks >>
- CBIA (10/9/17) Budget Crisis Hurting State's Economy, Job Growth >>
- New Haven Register (10/4/17) Even Under Executive Order, Connecticut to End Year in Deficit >>
- Connecticut Mirror (10/2/17) Municipal Aid Hit Will Multiply as Big Grants Are Cut This Week >>
- Connecticut by the Numbers (9/10/17) State’s Money Woes Earn National Spotlight >>
- Hartford Business Journal (9/4/17) State Budget Crisis Hitting Nonprofits Hard >>
- Connecticut by the Numbers (8/19/17) Perspective - Early Childhood Care and Education: A prudent Investment >>
- The Hour (8/6/17) Area Nonprofits Adapt to the Millennial Way of Charitable Giving >>
- Hartford Business Journal (8/2/17) Human Services Cuts Take Effect After a Month Without a Budget >>
- Eversource (8/1/17) Torrington Youth Summer Program Gets Second Chance After Eversource Donation >>
- WTNH.com (8/1/17) Nonprofit Community Human Service Programs Cutting Back, Facing Layoffs >>
- Hartfdord Courant (8/2/17) Insurers' Aid On Hold As Hartford Works Through Financial Turmoil >>
- Hartford Business Journal (7/26/17) Nonprofits: We Can Save CT $300M By Taking On Gov't. Services >>
- CT News Junkie (7/26/17) Disability Advocates Accept Their Punishment in Court, Continue Push for 'Moral' Budget >>
- News Channel 12 (7/26/17) No State Budget Affecting Nonprofit Organizations >>
- The Bulletin (7/18/17) Local Groups Step Up After State Money Dries Up for Youth Summer Jobs Program >>
- CT Mirror (7/17/17) Advocates Say 'Perfect Storm' of Possible Cuts Threatens Mental Health Care >>
- News-Times (7/17/17) Fresh Food for Low-income Seniors Axed From Budget >>
- CT Mirror (7/11/17) 26 Nonprofits Told to Stop Providing Services as Other Cuts Loom >>
- News-Times (7/9/17) State Cuts Into Child-care Subsidies >>
- Hartford Courant (7/6/17) Foundation Pledges $86K To Hartford Nonprofit Fighting Homelessness >>
- CTViewPoints (6/30/17) Early Childhood: An Effective Long-term Investment in Connecticut’s Children >>