FAIRFIELD COUNTY'S COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
NORWALK, CT -- Fairfield County's Community Foundation is seeking an Advocacy and Community Engagement Fellow who will lead the Foundation’s advocacy, public policy and community/resident outreach and engagement efforts in partnership with the Vice President of Community Impact and the community impact team.
Fairfield County’s Community Foundation (FCCF) promotes philanthropy to build and sustain a vital and prosperous community where all have the opportunity to thrive.
FCCF is the third largest community foundation in Connecticut with assets of approximately $224 million. FCCF manages over 600 charitable funds and raises $20 million annually from diverse donors to support a variety of charitable interests. Contributions can be made for the general benefit of the community or designated to a specific purpose, cause or nonprofit organization.
The Advocacy & Community Engagement Fellow will play a key role in our fast paced, dynamic organization. This position will lead the Foundation’s advocacy, public policy and community/resident outreach and engagement efforts in partnership with the Vice President of Community Impact and the community impact team.
- Advocacy and Public Policy
- Set and update as necessary organizational policies and procedures for advocacy in partnership with the VP of Community Impact, President & CEO and Board of Directors
- Research, track and analyze local, state and federal policies that are relevant to the foundation’s community impact work
- Co-develop an explicit policy agenda for the foundation in partnership with the VP of Community Impact, community impact staff and the Community Impact Committee, including articulating and drafting policy positions using objective data
- Design and deploy new advocacy strategies and initiatives to advance our agenda
- Make funding recommendations to program officers for organizations working to advance a collective policy agenda
- Build and maintain relationships with local and state elected officials
- Manage and co-design various civic engagement initiatives, including GOTV efforts
- Collaborate with other funders, nonprofits partners and other stakeholders that share our advocacy agenda to influence policies affecting target populations (youth and young adults, immigrants and women and girls), including supporting the President & CEO and
- VP of Community Impact in advancing the CT Community Foundations’ Urban Opportunity Agenda
Community Outreach and Engagement
- Develop and implement a community outreach process to identify and engage community and resident leaders in key geographic areas most affected by the opportunity gap (Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford and Danbury in particular), so that their perspective is included and prioritized when developing strategy, policy and solutions
- Help foster dialogue, shared understanding and resource and goal alignment among diverse, cross-sector community partners by convening and connecting individuals involved in or affected by the opportunity gap in the county for learning, discussion and perspective
- Gather and disseminate community knowledge
- Identify gaps in the Foundation’s community knowledge and relationships and work to fill them by building and maintaining trusted community relationships through presence at community events and by launching new community engagement initiatives
- Co-lead the foundation’s community leadership work to strengthen understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout Fairfield County in partnership with the VP of Community Impact and the community impact team
- Work with the Manager of Data Science and Evaluation to engage community leaders, residents and beneficiaries on research reports, such as the Fairfield County Community Well-Being Index
- Form strategic partnerships with funders, cross-sector collaboratives or organizations that have connections to or focus on constituent voice and leadership
- Identify specific ways to amplify the voices of target populations, including youth and young adults, immigrants and women and girls, in policy and program decisions
- Make funding recommendations to program officers for organizations working to strengthen resident/community voice and leadership
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead, influence, inspire, and motivate others and assume a leadership role on a team
- Excellent relationship management skills, including experience managing complex internal and external relationships with a variety of constituencies (e.g. Board of Directors, Advisory Boards, government representatives, project partners, donors, etc.)
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to interact with and present complex ideas and analysis to diverse audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analysis skills, particularly in the area of policy analysis
- Demonstrated ability to establish and lead initiatives, organize, prioritize and multitask
- Ability to be flexible and work comfortably in a fast-paced, changing and collaborative environment
- Significant experience in community organizing
- Experiencing working in or closely with local, state or federal government strongly preferred
- Relationships with state elected officials and/or elected officials in Fairfield County’s largest cities strongly preferred
- Ability to attend frequent community and legislative events, including early morning, evening and occasional weekend events throughout Fairfield County and Hartford and New Haven counties
- Commitment to the Foundation’s values of diversity, equity, inclusion, collaboration and integrity
- Proficiency in MS Office – specifically Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s degree or equivalent work/life experience
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org.