THE TOW FOUNDATION
NEW CANAAN, CT -- The Tow Foundation is seeking a partner with the Manager of Finance and Administration to support the objectives and goals of the Foundation through the performance of the Foundation’s day-to-day accounting functions to ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness in the processing and reporting of the Foundation’s finances.
The Tow Foundation, Inc.
New Canaan, CT www.towfoundation.org
Position Title: Staff Accountant
Reports to: Manager of Finance and Administration
Salary Range: $60,000 - $70,000 (commensurate with experience and qualifications)
The Staff Accountant reports to and partners with the Manager of Finance and Administration to support the objectives and goals of the Foundation through the performance of the Foundation’s day-to-day accounting functions to ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness in the processing and reporting of the Foundation’s finances.
This is a dynamic position within an entrepreneurial organization that requires a talent for innovative and collaborative problem-solving, continuous learning and improvement, and a commitment to the ongoing enhancement of quality data systems, processes and operations in service to the Foundation’s board of directors, staff, and grantees.
- Perform, review and analyze the Foundation’s financial activities in order to ensure compliance with GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Record financial transactions, such as bank deposits, transfers, investment activity, payroll activity, and credit card activity in accordance with Foundation policy
- Perform reconciliation of banking and investment accounts to the Foundation’s general ledger
- Ensure that all bills and obligations of the Foundation are paid on a timely basis
- Issue payments to grantees of the Foundation, either by manual check or wire
- Manage cash flow of the Foundation for operating expenses, grant distributions, and investment capital calls
Tax & Reporting
- Assist with the annual Form 990PF including scheduling, preparing workpapers and reviewing return prepared by outside provider
- Prepare the annual Form 5500
- Prepare the annual 1099-MISC tax forms for vendors
- Produce monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to meet Foundation staff and Board needs and legal and regulatory requirements
Administration/ Human Resources
- Perform payroll function, including submission of payroll, distribution of paychecks, and changes to compensation, taxes, or deductions as needed
- Maintain accounting files and conduct annual record destruction in accordance with the Foundation’s record retention policy and maintain record destruction documentation
- Additional duties as assigned
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience that includes financial statement preparation and working knowledge of investment asset classes
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Proficient in Quickbooks and Microsoft Office 365 applications, with strong Excel skills
- Experience with online databases, preferably Salesforce.com
- Familiarity with IRS regulations regarding private foundations and exempt organizations is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and balance responsibilities while maintaining a commitment to quality work
- Flexible and able to adapt to a dynamic and rapidly changing work environment
The Ideal Candidate Will Be:
- A strategic, analytic thinker and problem solver
- Comfortable taking initiative and working in a small team environment
- Knowledgeable of the non-profit sector
- Committed to reflecting a broad knowledge of the Foundation’s programs, practices, policies and procedures
- Able to maintain a healthy balance between personal and professional life
Who We Are:
The Tow Foundation, a private family foundation located in New Canaan, CT, envisions a society where all people have the opportunity to enjoy a high quality of life and have a voice in their community. The Foundation is committed to investing in projects that offer transformative experiences to individuals and create collaborative ventures in fields where they see opportunities for breakthroughs, reform, and benefits for underserved populations. Investments focus on the support of innovative programs and system reform in the areas of youth and criminal justice, groundbreaking medical research, higher education, and cultural institutions.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter outlining your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you include your first and last name and “Accountant Position” in the subject line and a brief statement on how you heard of this position in the email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we highly recommend applying early. Please no phone calls.