Funds Support Education, Economic Mobility, Access to Health and Basic Needs
NEW BRITAIN, CT -- United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut today announced more than $1 million in awards for programs and partnerships that benefit children, youth and families in New Britain and Berlin.
The awards to 22 nonprofit community partners help improve lives by focusing on youth success, economic mobility, access to health and basic needs.
“United Way finds the best way to bring people and resources together to ensure children and families succeed,” said Paula S. Gilberto, President and CEO of United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut. “When you give directly to United Way, you’re making a difference for New Britain and Berlin families.”
United Way community partners are improving lives of individuals in the New Britain and Berlin though connecting them to services that ensure:
- children are on track to reading proficiently by fourth grade by getting off to an early start through programs that focus on infant/toddler development (birth to three) and accredited early childhood education programs;
- middle school students acquire academic skills needed to become successful in high school through in and out of school time programs;
- families become financially stable through workforce programs and income supports; and,
- individuals and families receive basic needs services such as Meals on Wheels, shelter and rental/utility assistance.
United Way also supports regional efforts such as disaster services through American Red Cross and information and referral through United Way 2-1-1 – both of which have assisted New Britain and Berlin residents during emergency and immediate situations.
Community Partners receiving awards from United Way include:
- American Red Cross
- CCARC, Inc.
- Coalition for New Britain’s Youth
- Connecticut Coalition to End Homelessness
- Connecticut Legal Services, Inc.
- Consolidated School District of New Britain
- Foodshare, Inc.
- HARC, Inc.
- Hartford Healthcare at Home, Inc.
- Human Resources Agency of New Britain, Inc. (HRA)
- Nutmeg Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Opportunities Industrialization Center of New Britain, Inc. (OIC)
- Our Piece of the Pie (OPP)
- Prudence Crandall Center, Inc.
- Services for the Elderly of Farmington
- South Park Inn
- The Salvation Army of Greater Hartford
- United Way of Connecticut 2-1-1
- Workforce Solutions Collaborative of Metro Hartford
- YMCA of New Britain - Berlin
- YWCA of New Britain
“With the help of our donors and workplace campaign partners, we’re able to raise dollars in support of results-driven nonprofit programs, services and initiatives,” said Gilberto. “The United Way Community Campaign is one of the best ways to invest in success for local children, youth and families.”
About United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut mobilizes people and organizations to give, advocate and volunteer to promote child and youth success, ensure families are financially secure, provide access to health-related services and supports, and ensures basic needs are met.
Elyssa M. Millspaugh
Content Marketing Manager
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut