The John H. Filer Award
honors an individual or individuals
who have demonstrated leadership in encouraging private action
for the public good in Connecticut.
John H. Filer Award Recipients
2017 - Sheila Perrin - Perrin Family Foundation
2015 - Barbara Netter - Alliance for Cancer Gene Therapy; The Barbara and Edward Netter Foundation
2014 - Carlton Highsmith - CONNCAT
2013 - Andrew Eder - Eder Bros., Inc. and Eder Family Foundation
2012 - Betty Hale - Newell D. Hale Foundation
2011 - Herbert T. Clark III - Clark Group
2010 - Shelley Geballe - Connecticut Voices for Children
2009 - Barbara L. Pearce and Herbert H. Pearce - H. Pearce Company
2008 - James F. English - Nutmeg Foundation
2007 - Thomas O. Barnes - Barnes Group
2006 - John H. Riege - Reid and Riege
2005 - Leo Nevas - Nevas Family Foundation
2004 - F. Peter Libassi - Children’s Health Fund
2003 - Robert S. Merriman - Main Street Community Foundation
2002 - Emily Tow Jackson - The Tow Foundation
2001 - William C. Graustein - William Caspar Graustein Memorial Fund
2000 - Paul Aicher - Topsfield Foundation
1999 - Carlyle “Hap” Barnes - Barnes Foundation
1998 - David E. A. Carson - People’s Bank
1997 - Anne Tyler Calabresi - Carolyn Foundation
The Connecticut Council for Philanthropy will recognize individuals for their leadership in promoting private action for the public good. Nominees should embody a creative spirit and serve as a model and inspiration to others in promoting philanthropy and solving societal problems.
- Nominees must have demonstrated a lasting impact on the philanthropic and nonprofit sectors of the state of Connecticut or a region within Connecticut.
- Only individuals are eligible for the award. Institutions are not eligible.
- Nominees may be from the for-profit, nonprofit or public sector.
- This award is given to individuals during their lifetime.
- Previously nominated individuals who are not selected may be re-nominated in succeeding years by submission of updated nominating materials.
- Current members of the Connecticut Council for Philanthropy’s board of directors and members of the award committee are not eligible to receive The John H. Filer Award.
The Connecticut Council for Philanthropy will appoint a committee to review nominations and to select the honoree. This award will be given in conjunction with CCP's Annual Conference on May 7, 2019.
- Any grantmaker or nonprofit in Connecticut is eligible to make a nomination.
- Please write a letter of nomination describing the nominee related to the selection criteria. Be specific in your comments.
- Complete the nomination form
- Attach a copy of your nominee’s curriculum vitae or bio.
Nominations must be post-marked or received via email by March 15, 2019. Send to:
Connecticut Council for Philanthropy
The John H. Filer Award
75 Charter Oak Avenue, Suite 205
Hartford, Connecticut 06106
Contact: Laurie Allen: (860) 525-5585 or lallen@CTphilanthropy.org